Royal Albert Hall performance for dance students
Students from Creative Academy will have the honour of performing at the Royal Albert Hall in the Dance Proms.
Dance Proms is a partnership project between two of the world’s leading dance training and awarding bodies: the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) and the Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD), as well as the Royal Albert Hall, working together in celebration of dance and inspiring creativity.
After an online selection process where there was a shortlist of 150, students from Slough’s Creative Academy were chosen as one of only 20 to go through to the live performance.
A board of highly respected dance practitioners - Darcey Bussell CBE, Michael Nunn OBE and John Partridge – did the judging.
George Kirkham, Creative Academy manager, said: “This is an amazing opportunity for the Creative Academy to perform alongside the best in young dance talent in the UK. We are really excited to share our work at a world class performing venue!”
Creative Academy pupils will take to the stage on 5 November, in front of an audience of thousands.
It will top off another successful year, where a National Student Survey audit showed Creative Academy had a 100% satisfaction rate, higher than the regional comparison of 84.14%.
Creative Academy is a dance degree managed by the council and validated by The University of West London.
A few other highlights from the year are below.
- 96% of the graduating BA (Hons) Dance 2016/17 students were offered employment, representation or higher education before graduation.
- 100% pass rate on ISTD Modern Theatre, with 63% achieving a distinction.
- 100% pass rate on ISTD Tap, with 69% achieving a distinction.
- First time the new module ‘Jazz and Commercial Performance’ was delivered with all students achieving 2:1 and first grades.
- 3% increase from the academic year 2015/16 to 2016/17 in those gaining a first class honours degree awarded from London College of Music – The University of West London.
- The Creative Academy ‘Five Gold Rings’ was the first full production held at The Curve and was sold out.
- Created a new partnership with DK ProDuKtions offering graduates and current students professional pantomime performance work.
- Started Creative Kids Saturday dance classes funded by Active Slough.
- Sold out graduation showcase 2017 at Sadler’s Wells Lilian Baylis Theatre.
- Pupils Alex Watson, Tama Czernuska and Kaireen McDonald won awards at the London College of Dance Network Awards.