Extra Housing Care
There are 99 flats in the borough called Extra Care housing for residents over the age of 55 with care and support needs allowing independence, dignity and personal choice.
The properties in The Pines, Wexham, and Northampton Place, Northampton Avenue, have their own front doors are both wheelchair accessible and have lifts to all floors. Each has a lounge, fitted kitchen and a bathroom with level shower access, as well as one or two bedrooms. Each site has a guest room for visiting friends and relatives and communal gardens. The buildings, grounds maintenance and repairs are all taken care of by an on-site manager. Cats and some dogs are welcome with their owner but are not permitted to be replaced.
Residents will have access to:
• On-site restaurant supplying hot meals seven days a week
• A 24 hour alarm system, to respond to emergency situations
• A team of carers to give support and assistance with personal needs as part of a formalised care package
• Emergency care is available through the night
• Hairdressing salon with a visiting hairdresser
• A mobile chiropody service every six weeks.
There are regular social activities on the schemes for those residents who wish to join in. These can include: cinema, theatre and knitting groups, yoga, singing and exercise classes. There are also on-site cinemas, a library and activity room.
Applicants for Extra Care housing must be:
• aged 55 or over with some care or support needs
• registered with SBCs housing register for Extra Care to rent - visit www.slough.gov.uk/housing/ housing-register.aspx
• registered on SBCs shared ownership housing register for Extra Care shared ownership. Visit www.slough.gov.uk/housing/extracare- housing.aspx
For shared ownership, applicants have to already live in Slough or have a close family connection with the area.
To find out more call Lou McKay, Slough Borough Council, on 01753 875543.