Extra help with rent and housing costs

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) can provide extra money if a resident is eligible and needs extra help to meet housing costs.

Anyone who requires more help with housing costs and is currently claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit with housing costs towards rental liability, are eligible to apply. DHP may be used to cover housing costs, such as a rent shortfall or rent in advance if you need to move home. The link to download the form is here:

It should be printed off, completed and returned to us by post or in person or emailed to us at Applications cannot be accepted unless a form has been fully filled in.

SBC Council tax Support Scheme

In January 2019 Slough Borough Council agreed to introduce a simpler income banded Council Tax Reduction Scheme for working age people for 2020/21 to replace the complex means test.

The new scheme brings in a system of income bands to assess entitlement to Council Tax Reduction. Income bands will for example allow people to vary their hours at work without losing support. The new scheme will also give applicants more certainty about how much Council Tax they need to pay, and will result in fewer Council Tax bills if their income fluctuates within the same band. The income band system gives people applying for Council Tax Reduction, a percentage reduction on their Council Tax based on the net income of the applicant and their partner if they have one, as well as any children.


No comments have been left for this article

Have your say...

Your name will be published alongside your comment but we will not publish your email address.

All comments will be reviewed by a moderator before being published.

Please ensure you complete all fields marked as mandatory.