Strengthening Families Programme
Slough’s Strengthening Families Programme, located within the council’s early help hub, consists of targeted early intervention for families with multiple problems including crime, anti-social behaviour, mental health, domestic abuse and unemployment.
We understand family life can be a challenge for parents and when faced with multiple problems, it can be hard to know where to turn.
The Strengthening Families Programme can help.
What we do?
- work with children to improve school attendance and behaviour
- help to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour
- help adults and young people get into work or training
- help to improve family life, making sure children are safe and well
- offer support for victims of domestic violence/abuse
- promote good health
- address the harm caused by drugs and alcohol
- help manage issues around mental health, emotional and physical concerns.
Who is the programme for?
The programme is for families who are going through two or more of the following issues:
- adults being out of work and finding it hard to get work
- children not attending school regularly, behavioural problems or repeated exclusions
- families with issues around their behaviour which has meant police involvement
- children who are vulnerable and need help
- families affected by domestic violence
- parents or children with problems around mental health.
How does it work?
Families we work with will get support to help overcome difficulties and make positive changes. For example we have 10 children’s centres across Slough to support parents and our family support workers in the early help hub can work directly with parents and children on a whole range of matters of concern to the family. We will work with you to solve problems and make sure you get the right help, from the right people, at the right time, so you can achieve the goals you set for yourself and your family.
What the programme can do
We can provide practical, one-to-one support to help you to:
- get your children attending school regularly
- access free childcare or nursery places
- set good routines and boundaries for your children
- deal with difficult behaviour
- get training and CV help so you’re ready to find a job
- resolve housing issues relating to arrears and debt management
- get you and your children involved in healthy, positive activities
- have good family relationships
- overcome issues around substance misuse
- be free from domestic abuse and violence.
A message to Slough families
- We will support your children so they grow up to be happy, healthy and successful.
- We will support adults in the household to be healthier, safer and manage their own needs.
- We will work with you to resolve any current or historic concerns in the family.
- We will treat you with respect at all times and want you to feel happy and confident when working with us.
Get in touch
To contact the Strengthening Families team, call 01753 875010 or email _StrengtheningFamilies@slough.gov.uk